Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Run from the HEART

My sister-in-law dropped off this pretty present for me yesterday.

She made me the cutest cupcake card and scarf I've ever seen. She even made the box it came in. That's talent people!  She said it was an "October present." She is such a thoughtful person and I'm so happy to have her in my life!

Why all the pink you ask? True, I'm not that girly but I always rock PINK in October. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and for some people its the only month that it will be on their minds. They think about it once a year and that's only because of the advertisements. I wish I could be those people. I wish it didn't haunt me everyday. Its a hard subject that I am way too familiar with and I am afraid my family is having to go through it again. 

I watched breast cancer destroy my Mother and take her life. I am watching my beautiful Aunt wrestle with this horrible disease as I speak. I have watched the Mothers of my friends fight for their lives. Some to win and some to lose, leaving their children motherless. Too many people are having to feel this pain and my heart breaks for them. 

So on Sunday October 19th I will be running. Running for my Mother. Running for my Grandmother. Running for my Aunt and the Mothers of my friends. For all the brave women fighting for their lives. For all the amazing women who were ripped away from their families too soon and lost the fight. For the children who are watching their mothers bear this struggle. For the husbands who are now widowers. For the motherless daughters who are like me. We might not know how to cook or sew or plant a garden. We might not have anyone to teach us these things or anyone to call and answer our questions, but its okay. We will figure it out because we are strong. We are strong like our mothers were and they would want us to keep running. Out run this cancer! Do your breast exam's, eat healthy and get off your bum and exercise! This is how we can stay one step ahead.  

Please join me Sunday, October 19, 2014 for the 16th Annual Komen Inland Empire Race for the Cure® at the Promenade Mall in Temecula, CA. 

Register HERE

"Susan G. Komen® remains committed to fulfilling our promise to save lives and end breast cancer forever through empowering people, ensuring quality care for all, and energizing science to find the cures.  Susan G. Komen® is focused on reducing breast cancer incidence and mortality within the next decade with increased emphasis on finding solutions for disparities in breast cancer across populations.  With funds raised by Susan G. Komen® Inland Empire, community grants will be made to support evidence-based strategies and promising practices to reduce disparities in breast cancer mortality in the Inland Empire"
 "Here in the Inland Empire, up to 75 percent of the funds donated remain locally in Riverside and San Bernadino Counties to fund important breast health services and programs.  The remaining 25 percent of each dollar donated funds the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Award & Research Grant Program. In fact, next to the U.S. government, Susan G. Komen is the largest funder of breast cancer research in the world." 

(image found here) 

No comments:

Post a Comment